RE: over-steer, under-steer, neutral steer...thoughts,

To: "'tr6taylor@webtv.net'" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: over-steer, under-steer, neutral steer...thoughts,
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 13:22:20 -0800
        Dick:

        Be careful here. A car that understeers has reached the limit
of available work from the front tires. It is not possible to get
more work from the outside front tire. It has delivered all it is
capable of, and is now skidding.
        You want to get more work from the other three tires, you
can't get more from the outside front tire if the car is understeering.
        You get more work from the other three tires by reducing
weight transfer to the outside front tire. If it isn't going to
the outside front tire, the weight must be going to the remaining three
tires. If there is more weight on the remaining three tires, they
*MUST* be making better contact, not worse contact.
        If your rear sway bar is so stiff that your inside rear tire is
lifting, then you have reduced your ultimate cornering capability,
not made it better. You would only have 3 tires working instead of 4.
I do agree that a sufficiently stiff rear bar will make your inside
rear tire lift.
        I guess all of that means we disagree (?).

        Ciao,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6
Cogito Ergo Zoom