2000-register

Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor on a PI saloon

To: gravee.leafoe@cwcom.net
Subject: Re: Spin on oil filter adaptor on a PI saloon
From: "Brian A.Tink" <batink@pcug.org.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:54:41
Graham
Thank you for your reply. It is interesting how distances are related too in
different countries, and I appreciate your comment about what 4000Km would mean
to you.

I guess one of the advantages that we have in Oz is the long distances.  My
2500 is manual with OD and at 110 kph (the state wide speed limit) I am only
pulling 2600 revs.  MY wife Jan and I where born in Adelaide which is 750 miles
from Canberra and there has been many "visit the relo's" visits, and when you
are running through some less populated, very flat country side then it takes
one hour to travel 110 kilomteres.  A couple of towns are located about 100
kilometres apart.  So the whole trip takes about 12 driving hours.

The advantage is that it cleans the cobwebs out, but during the summer in 40C
degree heat, the oil does need a change after such a trip.

You mention, the problem of short runs and cleaning the condensation from the
oil.  Many years ago, I proudly bought a BMC Morris Major.  Typical of the the
cars at the time they had large water and oil capacities.  When I came to live
in Canberra (a town of 50,000 and the longest drive was about 10 miles, warming
the engine sufficiently to drive out the condensation during winter (overnight
down to minus 6c) was a problem.  I solved the problem by winterising the car
in the following manner:

1) remove the fan blades.
2) install a higher opening thermostat
3) blank out about 2/3 of the raditor with some canvas.

I did help to have a temp guage and a good eye.  If things got too hot, then
jump out and remove canvas and all is OK.

Remember, the fan is dead useless over about 15mph.  In my cars, the 2500S and
a '74 stag, I only use electric fans contolled through thermostats Plus and
incabin override switch.  The visco fan in the 2500 went to the dump many years
ago.

in the meantime    triumph onwards   brian