2000-register

RE: Spin on oil filter adaptor on a PI saloon

To: Asgeir Nesoen <asgeir.nesoen@inl.uio.no>
Subject: RE: Spin on oil filter adaptor on a PI saloon
From: Andrew Thompson <ajt@expmining.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:02:04 +0800
My PI is rebuilt and uses very little oil between changes (minor leaks not
yet solved!!) certainly not enough to warrant a top up. It does have  inlet
valve guide seals (Chris Witor) and I change every 3000miles. I use a 10w/60
synthetic oil  (AU$50 for 5 litres)

In Australia it is fairly easy to get your oil analysed for contaminants as
many mining contractors etc
regularly check their oil in 300 tonne truck etc to determine engine wear.
I'm sure this is the same
all over the world if you check the Yellow Pages

These are primarily:  Silica  ... Dirty, ineffective air filter
                      Tin Copper ....Bearings wearing badly
                      Water....usual but you don't want too much!!!
                      Petrol distilates....usual but you don't want too much
again

I can't recall the full suite of contaminants but most well maintained
vehicles are normally well within limits
if you stick to the manufacturer's recommendations (note. most say 6000miles
or six months which ever is
first and if the car is used in arduous conditions such as city stop/start
or high speed running the servicing of
oil etc should be increased accordingly.)

The best thing  for a car that doesn't get used much except for short trips
is a good high speed run for maybe 100 miles. This gets everything nice and
hot and evaporates much of the fuel and water contamination
in the oil. This is why many engines appear to use more oil on a infrequent
high speed outing.

cheers AndyT