2000-register

RE: Hello to everyone on the Cyber Directory

To: "'Egil Kvaleberg'" <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Subject: RE: Hello to everyone on the Cyber Directory
From: Andrew Thompson <ajt@expmining.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:45:17 +0800
Egil,

Thanks for reply on disc brake conversions. I didn't  realise the main
reason for Volvo four-pot caliper was for dual circuit but having looked at
the similar set up of piping on a Princess 4-pot caliper it makes sense.

I have considered a Stag brake conversion but I would really like an
increase in pad size that is possible with a 4 pot set up. My brakes at
present are rebuilt but standard with metal front pads. When I do speed
events the pedal becomes very dead and the back tends to lock up. Although
the brakes still seem to manage they are not confidence inspiring.

Is it maybe possible to fit a 4 pot caliper to a Stag Disc??? Any
suggestions?

I realise that brake bias could become a problem and have considered a dual
circuit twin master cylinder system with a balance bar and remote servos.
This could be set up in similar fashion to a Mk1 PI brake system???

I think you have hit the nail on the head as far as rear discs. The Stag
drum set-up with suitable linings is probably fine but cosmetically less
pleasing than a rear disc conversion. However the handbrake would be a
further complication with a disc conversion. Maybe I should go for Stag
drums!!

Cheers Andy