vtr

RE: TR6 or TVR overheating woes

To: <me@jasonwgeorge.ca>, <vtr@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 or TVR overheating woes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:33:49 -0700
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
> Filling the system today I had massive problems - the rad wasn't heating
> evenly and I could only get about 4 liters of coolant in (70/30 mix).
> After tearing my hair out a friend suggested it is likely a massive air
> lock.

If the fill point is at the highest spot (top radiator hose), then you
shouldn't have problems with an air lock.  However, you should probably
check the thermostat.  If it seals air-tight then it may be difficult to
fill the system.  Normally there is a small 'leak' built into it ... if not
you can add one by drilling a 1/8" (or so) hole through it.  Positioning the
hole at the top will help make it easier to fill.

Is this a vertical flow radiator ?  If so, the uneven heating indicates it
is clogged.  If it's a horizontal flow, and only the bottom is getting warm,
then perhaps you're just drastically low on water.

> My engine seems to have a water tap that has been plugged off on the
> rear-passenger side of the engine. Removing the plug I encounter pretty
> solid gunk. Is it possible this tap was not drilled all the way through or
> is it likely there's just a lot of packed sediment in there (even after
> the block was cleaned)?

I'd say it's almost certain that you're looking at sediment packed in there
... I would be very upset with the people that rebuilt the engine, since
this is a common problem anyway and you presumably told them you were having
trouble with overheating.  Even if by some strange chance it's casting flash
or whatever from the factory, they should have opened it up during the
rebuild.

It's essential you get water flowing through this area, otherwise you'll
never cure your overheating problem.  I'd suggest starting by digging out
all the crud you can with a wire probe.  If that doesn't open to the water,
then try chemical flushing.

Without water flowing through the back of the block, the trapped water in
the gunk will boil, and the steam will blow coolant out of the overflow.
Then you're low on water, not to mention that the steam is likely to "air
lock" the water pump.

Randall

///
///  vtr@autox.team.net mailing list