Re: head lamps

To: Tombread@aol.com
Subject: Re: head lamps
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:10:31 EST
In a message dated 3/8/02 4:01:50 AM Pacific Standard Time, Tombread writes:

> :
>

> >> The background is this: until 1971 SCCA required headlights to be in
>> place
>> and taped. Starting in 1972, the headlight glass had to be removed. The
>> resulting openings could then be used for ducting air. Even then there had
>> be a contoured cover or contoured screen.
>>

> Are you certain of the dates?
> I remember putting flat plates in place, with headlight bezel used but no
> headlight guts, in our FP MGA in 69 and our EP MGB in '71.  I know for sure
> the MGB never had headlight fittings because we started with a shell.  We
> used flat inserts that we made, though I think somebody made/sold curved
> inserts....
> Tom Butters

This might be a time where the folks on this list can help put this issue to
rest, once and for all. I do not have a complete collection of GCR's but I
have 1969 and 1972.

1969 GCR:
Appendix A under safety inspections "Headlights- shall be protected to
prevent shattering"

Under Authorized Modifications there is no mention  of headlight removal.

also:
C. Electrical system "An alternator be used in place of the generator.
Nothing must be done to interfere with the normal battery charging functions
of the alternator or generator".

1972 GCR:

Under Authorized Modifications "A. Bodywork, 7. Glasss and/or plastic,
headlights, front parking light, front signal light, lenses and bulbs MUST be
removed"

"the resulting openings may be used for ducting of air..........etc."

Somewhere after the 1969 season the removal became a requirement. 1969 and
earlier they had to be in place. In 1965 when I began racing everyone taped
the lights. We also removed the parking lights on our Spitfire because the
Kastner cars were raced that way although now I can find no place authorizing
that until 1972. The last year I raced was 1970 and I never saw a production
car without headlights. All of the photos from that year that I have confirm
that. Many sports racers and modifieds also had taped headlights then.

Since SVRA Group 1 and 3 have a 1967 timeline, we expect headlights of
something that at least looks like a taped headlight.

After the change in rules I believe the flat plates were allowed as long as
the bezel was used even though the rules specified a contoured cover.

Can anyone document when the change occurred? 1971 is what I believe.

Jack Woehrle