Re: Triumphs and roll overs

To: "Brian Evans" <brian@uunet.ca>,
Subject: Re: Triumphs and roll overs
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:38:11 -0500
I haven't made too much yet of the tire issue, but plenty people with
Triumphs have had the broken axle/rollover experience on Dunlops.

There are extremely limited choices in 70 series (or narrower) tires in bias
ply. As these manufacturers look at the "economy of scale", they may decide
to quit making tires that fit and are legal soon anyway. It can't be a real
big money making proposition. (Maybe that's why Dunlops are so expensive,
hmmm?) I firmly believe that the Hoosier TDs are easier on components than
almost all but the narrowest radials.

Also, on the Sprite side of things...my perception about notorious Sprite
front stub axle failures...(I said until 2 weeks ago, I hadn't seen one fail
in 15 years around vintage racing, and 26 years of Healey ownership) was
confirmed in a conversation with Tom Colby of Speedwell. He's seen one
failure in all of his years... and it was on an autocross tire with 8"
slicks.

Back to the Triumph rear end situation...most tech inspections wouldn't even
turn up an 8" Ford rear end. I'd like to think that the Triumph guys needn't
hide this modification, but rather it become a widely accepted safety mod.
(By the way... most Volvo 1800s are running the much later diffs & axles for
the same reason. I'm sure if there was an option the Triumph guys wouldn't
go Ford...)

WST
(my usual 3 cents...)