Triumphs and rollovers (cont'd)

To: "vintage-race@autox.team.net" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumphs and rollovers (cont'd)
From: Michael Gee <Michael_Gee@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:54:59 -0700
Listers,
Perhaps some drivers are assuming that the cars in question were built
to be raced.  I don't think that assumption is safe. They were built for
style not substance.  If fact, if the factory entered races with these
cars it didn't take the cars off the showroom floor.  The cars destined
for the track were given a lot of extra attention and rebuilt from the
tires up. Also -
Because most of the cars were sold in a convertible model doesn't mean
that England was always sunny!  Style not performance.
I learned the lesson with my TR Spitfire (back in the 60s) when I first
raced it and experienced the rear-end pucker.  I tried to go from the
showroom to the track assuming it looked like a sports car ergo it was
born for the track.  Assumptions are empty when tested.
Cheers,
Mike