Re: Winch cable support

To: Tombread@aol.com
Subject: Re: Winch cable support
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:44:19 -0700
You know what they say, if you have a wooden head, use a wooden helmet. ;=)

The only kind of wood I'd drag a steel cable across is Lignumvitae. They
used to use it for prop shaft bearings on steamships. It's the densest,
strongest wood on the market. It's also shock resistant, decay resistant
and naturally oily. Any normal wood you drag a steel cable across will
eventually splinter.

See: http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/lignumvitae.htm