Re: Speed Differentials

To: "Richard E. Buckingham, Jr." <rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: Re: Speed Differentials
From: "Jeremy Braithwaite" <atroz@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:05:26 +1100
Dick
I'd suggest that speed differential is only part of the equation.  Other
factors are:
a. The mass differential - ie mixing say 400kg FF's with 700kg + F5000's.
b. The technology - ie mixing wings 'n slicks cars with those with treaded
tyres.

Its in the interests of both promoters and competitors to get the mix right.
Over the last couple of years our main promoter in Sydney Australia - the
HSRCA - has insisted on gridding FF's with F5000 and big banger sports cars.
Prior to that we had been regularly producing FF grids of 15+.  Today the
number has dwindled to half or less at some meetings.  During the same
period the VHRR in Victoria - which has done a wonderful job of promoting
the category and given FF's their own races  - has built fields of 25+.

As the guy who started the category in Sydney I'm obviously disappointed.
At a personal level things came to a head at Oran Park a year ago when I
beat some of the F5000's in the field in my Lotus 61 .... the same one we
took to Monterey in 95.  Thinking about it afterwards - and particularly the
likely consequences of a spin and being cleaned up (by a 2 or 3 times a year
driver in a car much faster than him) - made me realise that sooner or later
we were going to have a very nasty accident.  Just saying we haven't had one
to date in no way proves the counter-argument!

To explain the extent of the problem - Oran Park is 1.2 miles anti-clockwise
with a 700+ yard straight.  The racing line remains on the right hand side
of the straight allowing a wide entry into the left hander at the end.  In a
FF you can clear your mirrors exiting the corner onto the straight - check
your mirrors through the straight and at the end - and still turn into a
F5000 that has done a run down the left hand side of the very wide track.
Not good.

Anyway - I've voted with my feet.  The Lotus is for sale and I'm having fun
racing my modern FF with our future F1 starts pending the likely acquisition
of a 1960's car.

There obviously needs to be some commonsense rules or guidelines developed.
Its OK to run FF, FJ and FV with clubman cars and lightweight sports racers
such as Lotus 23 etc.  Its not OK to run the above with CanAm, F5000 or F1.
Its definitely not OK - and bloody dangerous -  to mix sedans with open
wheelers or sports racers.

Where an undesirable mix is inevitable a couple of suggestions we have used
over here:
a. Do two separate starts.  Get the faster cars away first and then 5 or 10
seconds later drop the flag a second time.  If you insist on rolling starts
use 2 pace cars and keep them apart.  This minimises the first corner
problem and ensures that the field is spread out when the faster cars start
lapping the slower ones.
b. Agree a local rule between the faster cars that they observe the
equivalent of a yellow flag rule when they're working through traffic.  The
lead driver raises his arm - the faster cars stop racing and go through line
astern - they signal again to start racing after the pass has been safely
completed.

regards

Jeremy Braithwaite
Age & Treachery Racing Australia