Re: Flex hose

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Subject: Re: Flex hose
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 08:57:07 -0500
Brian Evans wrote:

> Presuming that the wires aren't protruding from the hose end, in which case
> they shouldn't be, here are two ideas.  First, run the line - brake line is
> small enoudh for this to work well - inside a clear plastic tube.  Second,
> surround the line with heat-shrink tubing before assembly, then shrink the
> tubing around the line after the hose ends are put on.  This has the
> advantage of hiding the stainless steel, if you don't like that look.
>
> Brian
>
> At 05:03 PM 11/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >Among the things I don't like about race cars (and they are damned few)
> >is when i accidentally rub a wrist or hand along a steel braided line
> >and slice my body open on one of those  #&??&*  little broken wires.
> >Each time i do that, like today, I vow I'm going to use something
> >different.
> >
> >Any good suggestions?
> >--
> >uncle jack
> >TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer
> >
> Brian Evans
> Director, Carrier Sales
> UUNET, an MCI WorldCom Company
> (416) 216 5111

Thanks for the suggestion.

The line in qustion in this particular case was an oil cooler line that
was several years old. The problem exists at the ends of lines that
don't have reusable fittings like Aeroquip or Earls, of course, but the
most irritating problem to me are the larger lines in the engine
compartments whech have little individual broken wires that are nearly
invisible to the eye until you accidentally slide your hand or wrist
across them.

A couple of years ago a guy in a speed shop showed me some hose that was
steel braided but then rubber covered, in attractive colors, with the
same burst pressure and temp resistance as steel braid covered hose.
That's really what I was looking for.