new thread - Gauges!

To: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Subject: new thread - Gauges!
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:52:52 -0500
I've been using the Autometer old style gauges lately - they kind of look
like Stewart Warner gauges from the sixties.  Fully mechanical oil pressure
and water temp.  I've found them so much more reliable than the rebuilt or
new Smiths that I used to try and use (once put three  rebuilt water temp
gauges in over one weekend - and none of them worked for more than five
minutes!).  I tapped the cylinder head hole to 3/8 NPT to get the water
gauge sender adaptor in.  I used a 1/8 NPT to -3 AN adaptor in the oil
pressure port on the engine, and ran -3 steel braided brake line to the
gauge.  Aside from the line costing more than the gauge, it's been great - a
very fast reading gauge, and the line won't break, melt, have a hose clamp
slip, etc.  I'm using, for all the very vintage reasons, the original Smiths
(non-chronometric) mechanical tach that came with the car.  It's so far cost
me as much as a Stack, but I'm sticking with it - each incremental
investment seems to be small enough that I can't justify the switch to a
more modern tach on either economic or performance grounds, and it *does*
look right!

Any hint's/tips form the boys?

Brian (who's GOT all the original gauges, just can't afford to keep them
working)

>I have found electrical temp and pressure gages to be inaccurate/and/or
>not as reliable as I would like, therefore I have a mechanical oil
>pressure gage in the Boss- never installed the water temp gage, and have
>mechanical oil press and water temp gages in the Truck. They are rock
>solid. You might consider foregoing a little bit of the originality for
>reliability.
>Just my 2 cents.
>Bill D.

Brian Evans