Re: Cool-ant Questions

To: Jeff Young <jey@Adobe.COM>
Subject: Re: Cool-ant Questions
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:48:36 -0500
At 04:24 PM 3/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Andy --
>
>The water pump pushes water into the engine at the pump (on the front of
>the block); the water exits at the elbow at the top, front of the head.
>The water exiting *should* go to the top of the radiator; the bottom of
>the radiator should feed the water pump.

Just read an article about a VARAC member who collects and shows some Model
T Ford racers - point was made that Model T's didn't have water pumps - they
heated the water, which pushed it's way out the top of the engine, into the
top of the Radiator, fell as it cooled, and was pulled or gravity fed back
into the bottom of the engine.  So water goes HOT - T0P!

Measuring temps - I have always measured at the cylinder head, which makes
sense if you want to know the hottest temp your water gets to.  But what
about oil?  do you measure the oil temp as it exits the engine (ie. hottest)
or as it enters the engine (ie. as it's about to do it's work in the
bearings)?  I seem to recall a Smokey Yunick article that said measure it as
it enters the block, but I've spoken to racers whose opinion I value that
said the opposite.  I think that I'd rather know the temp as it goes into
the engine from the tank...

Any ideas?
Brian Evans
Director, ISP Marketing