Re: Race Liability Insurance

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Race Liability Insurance
From: "William R. Lewis" <bill@wrljet.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:48:43 -0400 (EDT)
I attended the SVRA vintage event at Pocono Raceway a few months back.
I was amazed that they allowed the public to show up in any car that ran
and drive laps on the track.  And they offered charity rides to the public.
That was a lawsuit waiting to happen.  People didn't have helmets or proper
safety belts.  Some cars didn't even have a passenger seat.  Really.

The local go-kart club in the Washington DC area has been involved in a
lawsuit for several years.  A woman didn't have her long flowing hair
properly restrained and she was scalped when the hair wrapped around the
rear axle.  She had signed all the usual waivers -- which didn't stop her
from filing a lawsuit.

Bill