[TR] Gear reduction starter question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Gear reduction starter question
From: KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 13:42:01 EDT
Hi all;

I have an early TR3A which was fitted with a bomb starter. I found the
starter very unreliable, had it rebuilt twice and still had problems. For two
years, I used only the starting handle.

Eventually, I decided to fit a gear-reduction starter. I've now had that
fitted for two years and it failed last weekend. It just emits the usual
grinding noise of incomplete engagement. Now, I'm back to using the starting
handle
again (and I'm very glad I kept the starting handle hole when I had the
radiator recored!).

I haven't even looked at the problem yet, but would like to find out if
anyone's experienced anything similar, either from bomb-type or gear-reductions

starters, or if there are any general comments. With a few opinions and a bit
more knowledge, I'll pull the starter and know what to look for. Has anyone
gone  back to the original starter?

I'm guessing I'm either unlucky with starters, or there's a ring gear
problem.

Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
Kings Creek Trees
427 Kings Creek Road, RR3
Ashton, Ontario,  K0A 1B0, Canada
Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
(http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)

Proud  member of Landscape Ontario (the Ontario association of Green Industry
 professionals) and the Canadian Nursery Landscape  Association

===     http://www.vtr.org