Re: [TR] Gear reduction starter question

To: KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] Gear reduction starter question
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:53:37 -0400
On Sunday 01 July 2007 01:42 pm, KingsCreekTrees@aol.com wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I have an early TR3A which was fitted with a bomb starter. I found the
> starter very unreliable, had it rebuilt twice and still had problems. For
> two years, I used only the starting handle.
>
> Eventually, I decided to fit a gear-reduction starter. I've now had that
> fitted for two years and it failed last weekend. It just emits the usual
> grinding noise of incomplete engagement. Now, I'm back to using the
> starting  handle again (and I'm very glad I kept the starting handle hole
> when I had the radiator recored!).
>
> I haven't even looked at the problem yet, but would like to find out if
> anyone's experienced anything similar, either from bomb-type or
> gear-reductions starters, or if there are any general comments. With a few
> opinions and a bit more knowledge, I'll pull the starter and know what to
> look for. Has anyone gone  back to the original starter?
>
> I'm guessing I'm either unlucky with starters, or there's a ring gear
> problem.
>
> Tim Dyer,  Proprietor
> Kings Creek Trees
> 427 Kings Creek Road, RR3
> Ashton, Ontario,  K0A 1B0, Canada
> Phone/fax: 613 253 4126 Website: _www.kingscreektrees.com_
> (http://www.kingscreektrees.com/)
>
> Proud  member of Landscape Ontario (the Ontario association of Green
> Industry professionals) and the Canadian Nursery Landscape  Association

Tim,

I think you are in the unlucky category.

I have a 58 TR3 with a 57 transmission and an original 57 bullet starter.

Back in 79 during its 1st restoration, I replaced the brushes and cleaned the
computator with 600 sand paper.

I have logged over 25K miles since the 1st restoration and the starter turns
the car over like new.

I have gone through a number of batteries, but the current Exide orbital seems
to be the best of the lot. Very pricey though.

Also have the same battery for the 4 and it turns over just fine using an
original 4 starter.

I have never heard of a ring gear problem. They get a little chewed up in the
front but for the most part they last forever.

I see bullet starters on ebay from time to time. The ones that operate
generally go for over 100$.

Last year there was a NOS in its original wooden box!

What made your original starter unreliable?

The most common problem is with the rubber pinion sleeve.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org