RE: [TR] Gear reduction starter question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Gear reduction starter question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 13:46:22 -0700
> While you are
> inspecting the ring gear for chipped and worn teeth, see if
> it is held on by bolts. If it is, it is the wrong flywheel
> and ring gear.

My thought exactly.  Just to amplify a bit, what Jim is talking about is the
later, post-50K flywheel and ring gear (for the later starter).  The later
starter had a larger pinion, so the ring gear got smaller (so the mounting
location could be used).  An early starter with the late ring gear will just
barely catch the tips of the gear teeth, and eventually wear until it slips.

Saw exactly this problem on a local club member's car last year.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org