RE: [TR] TR3 Jack procedure

To: Ed Oot <eoot@citlink.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Jack procedure
From: ray@raysmg.com
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 09:38:48 -0700
If I'm raising the entire car off the ground, as it is presently for a
full suspension rebuild, I start at the front with two jacks and two
jack stands. I use hydraulic jacks and recently suplemented the two I
have with a long handled, single action, aluminum race jack. I raise
one corner of the car an inch or inch and a half, then the other side.
When raising more than that the frame can twist and I fear damage. When
the front is a few inches off the ground I move to the rear (two more
jack stands, and do the same. I try not to raise one end of the car
more than a couple inches higher than the opposite end of the car when
using four jack stands (all wheels off the ground).

NOTE - use jack stands and be sure the locking mechanism is set. Do NOT
trust the jack alone to support the car for an extended period. I had
all four corners raised about 8 inches for the current project; jack
stands set, jacks removed. I needed to move the right front stand a few
inches in order to paint a section of the frame member it was supporting
so I rolled the race jack in place and raised the frame free of the
stand. I reset the jack stand and let the race jack down until their
was weight on the jack stand. It was late so I decided to quit for the
day. The next morning I went out to the garage and the race jace was a
full 1/2" below the frame member it was in contact the day before. This
is a new, fairly high dollar jack, but the valve(s)  will still leak
down over time.

Hope this helps,

Ray

Ray McCaleb