Fwd: TR3 heater rant

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: TR3 heater rant
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:13:26 EST
In a message dated 12/14/2005 5:11:42 PM Central Standard Time, Dave1massey
writes:
> One can recalculate air in a TR4 b

I actually typed "recirculate" but my spell checker tripped me up. :-(
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Full-name: Dave1massey
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:11:42 EST
Subject: Re: TR3 heater rant
To: BrianSmith1@templeinland.com

In a message dated 12/14/2005 4:03:01 PM Central Standard Time,
BrianSmith1@templeinland.com writes:
> I remember reading somewhere that you need to open the vent to get
> sufficient air through the heater.  I know it seems counter intuitive.
> can't help on the lower than need temperature.  You might try a piece of
> cardboard in front of PART of your radiator.  You might also check the
> antifreeze level to be sure you have enough.  I had a vehicle whose heater
> would not get warm, and the reason was low coolant levels.

While this is true for TR4-6 such is not the case with a TR3.  The TR3 vent
only dumps fresh air under the dash in the general vicinity of the heater
whereas the scuttle vent is ducted directly into the heater on the later
models.*

Dave

*On the TR4 the dash vents are connected directly to the vent plenum that
also feeds the heater inlet.  One can recalculate air in a TR4 by closing the
scuttle vent and opening the dash vents and air will be pulled into the dash
vents and ducted to the heater fan.  This doesn't work on the TR6 since the TR6
dash vents are fed from the blower output.

===     http://www.vtr.org