RE: overheating

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: overheating
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:06:19 -0400
"Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net <mailto:tr3driver@comcast.net> >
Wrote

And I haven't heard anyone yet claim that their entirely stock (no upgraded
fan or radiator) TR will not overheat in 115F temps, as are common in the US
southwest.

To be clear, I wasn't claiming that a stock TR cooling system could handle
anything the US climate could throw at it with aplomb.

I was more trying to say that IMO some people throw in the towel on
overheating TRs and claim they all behave that way,  when if fact their
car's cooling ability could be improved (perhaps to an acceptable level)
without necessarily deviating from stock design.

Yes, tuning and tweaking everything to get the most out of the stock system
can be cumbersome.
And no .. even the perfectly operating TR (car and cooling system) will not
do for all of the US.

And so of course I don't look down on improvements such as plastic fans or
electric fans or whatever else are okay with me.
(which would be hypocritical)

OTW . .I'm not holding the system up on a pedestal as perfect, or even
highly satisfactory.
I just feel that some of its bad rap is undeserved and so I get defensive.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 Everyday