RE: overheating

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: overheating
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:26:36 -0700
> I get pissed off when someone trashes an entire class of vehicles
> because of
> problems encountered with a few of them:  i.e. "all triumphs
> overheat in hot
> weather when left to idle for a long time"
>
> That's malarkey.

Not quite ... the TRs have a lot less margin in the cooling system than
American cars of the period.  True, they don't overheat if everything is
just right and the weather isn't too hot, but some of these cars left the
factory with things not quite right !

Add to that many people's belief that the cooling system does not need to be
maintained if the car is not driven and there begins to be at least a kernel
of truth to the myth.

And I haven't heard anyone yet claim that their entirely stock (no upgraded
fan or radiator) TR will not overheat in 115F temps, as are common in the US
southwest.  Today wasn't so bad, only hit 109F in Barstow (and 17% RH).
Phoenix was downright chilly at only 100F but should be warmer tomorrow.
Those low humidities are good for people (only thing that makes the desert
bearable IMO) but bad for automotive cooling systems.

Randall