RE: RE: Spitfire Water Pump... oops...

To: "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Subject: RE: RE: Spitfire Water Pump... oops...
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@nexant.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:50:04 -0500
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <abeck@ica.net>
On large pumps used in industry, that still use packing glands rather than
mechanical seals, the gland is adjusted so that a small amount of liquid
leaks by the gland.  This is because the liquid is actually the lubricant
for the gland or seal.  Without the small amount of leakage, the sealing
area of the shaft would wear very quickly and the pump seal would fail
prematurely.  I would imagine the same principal applies for our water
pumps.

Michael Marr
Naperville, IL
1960 TR3A