* TR3 Static Timing *

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: * TR3 Static Timing *
From: "Wayne" <wayne@brazinski.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:11:37 -0500
Hi everyone!
I just installed points and removed the Pertronics.  Just timed according to
the instructions on TeriAnn's site (thanks TeriAnn, thanks Steve Newell for
the URL http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/TR/Distributor.htm).  The car is
running better than ever. I need to drive another one now to compare (K.G.!!)

I have three questions:

1) I made my own wire from the -ve coil terminal to the movable points arm
that is WAY thicker than the super skinny stuff that is usually there.  Will
this be OK?  The other one on the timing plate is also regular 12 or 16 gauge
wire. Won't the 2 fat wires stop the plate from moving properly?  The car
rev's to 4K with no miss.

2) The VTR site has a slightly different method which causes 8 degrees of
advance http://www.vtr.org/maintain/Setting-the-Ignition-Timing-on-a-TR.pdf .
Shall I revise and use the VTR method now I'm Mr. Maintenance Guy?

3) Why can't I use a timing light?

I hope these questions help other people!

Wayne