oil pressure

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil pressure
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:33:35 -0400
When I'm on a long trip I do not amble along, I drive on the fast side,
returning from VTR S/E (868 miles less than 13)normal oil pressure is 65lbs at
cruise and 40 at idle, well suddenly the pressure dropped to 50, then 40, then
35 cruising, and ==5==at idle, I did make it home with no engine noises, oil
was full and clean, normal oil leaks, filter tight, still 40 & about 5, I
called Ken Gilanders @ British Frame & Engine his first comment was you are
using Castrol 20/50 arn't you, the pressure relief valve in the filter head
gets some sort of coating on it and this effects the pressure, take the valve
assembly apart and clean it in "Lacquer Thinner" and reinstall it then all
will be well again, and thats what I did and it is well again, might be a good
tip for T/R owner to remember should this happen to you   "FT"