Stromberg Problems

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stromberg Problems
From: Dale VanCleef <dalebonn@netnitco.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:49:13 -0400
I have a 73 TR6 which has required the choke to be pulled out to run
well.  It has behaved this way since I got it home last fall.

Obviously, something is wrong.  So, I bought all of the required tools
and manuals and printed the instructions from the Buckeye Triumphs site.

I got the carbs synced ok... they were already close.  Then I moved on
to mixture.  The front carb tested ok.  But the rear one tests lean
(which would explain why I need the choke).  I used the mixture tool and
started making clock-wise adjustment... 1/2 turn at a time.  But every
time I lifted the air slide 1/4 of an inch, the engine died.  According
to what I've read, that means it's too lean.  After 2 1/4 clockwise
turns ( 4 1/2 half turns), it was adjusted as far as it would go.  Still
it tests lean.

With no more adjustment available, I moved on to adjusting the cold idle
and took a test drive.  The car could barely pull it's own weight.  Then
I pulled the choke out and she sprung to life.  I was easily able to
spin the tires from stops.

When stopped, I need to push the choke in (because the cold idle is now
adjusted properly).  Then pull the choke out when it's time to drive.  I
know that something is terribly wrong... but I have no idea what to try
next.

All advice and suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--
Dale VanCleef
'73 TR6 CF985U