Re: Syncromesh manual transmission fluid

To: Chad Jester <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Syncromesh manual transmission fluid
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:47:31 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Chad Jester wrote:

> I agree with Randall 100%.  I've been into too many Pennzoil /
> Quaker State engines that were full of sludge.  And these were
> engines that had regular oil changes!
>
> I prefer Valvoline synthetic myself.....have it in everything
> INCLUDING the lawnmower!  Even a Briggs & Stratton doesn't need
> to suffer the indignities of having its crankcase filled with
> Penzoil!  ;-)

Mentioning Quaker State, my favorite story on that was when I was
working in an independent foreign car shop in Michigan in the `70s.
Two old ladies had identical Honda Civics (in the days when the
water-cooled Civics were fairly new, no parts available, and had,
essentially, throw-away engines). If one had something done to her
car, the other had to do it, as well. One decided that she should
use Quaker State, and the other wasn't to be outdone.

A year or so later, both engines had a valve train and valve cover
full of sludge. In the next years, Quaker State had a widespread
reputation for sludge formation, which they mostly countered with a
massive ad campaign emphasizing reformulation.

Sludge is oil-borne ash, nothing more. Pennsylvania oils have a high
ash content, as do the coal formations in that area.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.