RE: Syncromesh manual transmission fluid

To: "'Mark Hooper'" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>, "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Syncromesh manual transmission fluid
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:42:26 -0400
Mark and Randall,
The thing that bothers me about Valvoline 20w50 Racing oil (or any other
MOTOR oil) use in transmissions is that it doesn't contain additives
with anti-shear characteristics. That's why all current (and almost all
previous) auto manufacturers specify different oils for engines,
transmissions and differentials. Their operation and lubrication needs
are different.
I'm not an engineer nor do I have any training or specific education in
the science of lubricants. It just doesn't make any common sense to me
that it's just dandy to run motor oil in a Triumph TR6 transmission
(which functions just like every other automotive manual transmission),
but no ancient or modern manufacturer would warrant their vehicle's
transmission if it were used. Because they specify gear oil, with it's
special additives and properties. Even BL/Triumph specified gear oil for
the TR6 transmission.
FWIW, for the last 12 or 13 years I have used Redline MTL in my
transmission and 75w90NS in my diff., with excellent results.
Admittedly, it is not readily available and certainly costs more than
$2.50 a quart. Someone please convince me that I've been wasting my
money all this time!
What does BFE know about this subject that no automotive manufacturer
knows?

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Randall:

Please use less subtle language. This is an important issue and I am not
sure of your opinion here. :^)

Mark
(Another user of Valvoline 20w50 Racing)
72 TR6 O/D