Axle Stub Inspection

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Axle Stub Inspection
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 15:15:07 -0500
Hello everybody. Long time no post. Been lurking in the digest.

I am currently performing a rebuild of the front suspension of my TR6. I
noticed some score marks and galling on the outer end of one of the axle
stubs and had it pressed out intending to replace it. I found nobody has
them in stock. I obtained a used assembly and it seems to be quite worn
where the inner bearing rides. Further inspection of the original stub shows
some not quite as extensive wear on the inner part too. This leads to two
questions:

1. How much wear is too much and how do I measure it?

2. Are new axle stubs readily available?

Thanks in advance.

Hugh Fader
72 TR6