Fw: 78 TR7 Bad Fuel Piump?

To: "Richard Sheppard" <sheppjr@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Fw: 78 TR7 Bad Fuel Piump?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:43:36 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i2EIpM8A013114
Message text written by "Richard Sheppard"
>I was out driving my 78 TR7 last night and had driven about 5 miles when
all
of a sudden the car started sputtering and acting like it was running out
of
gas.  I have 3/4 of tank so I know that lack of gas is not the issue.  I
pushed in the clutch and the car idled properly.  I then was able to drive
the
car normally for about 30 seconds and then the  problem reappeared.  This
phenomenon occurred all the way home.  The car starts and idles fine but
doesn't want to run at speed.<

This is a typical symptom of fuel starvation.  The pump can deliver enough
fuel for idling and very mild driving but not enough to support anything.
This can be a bad valve in the pump or a clog in the lines.  Or the screen
in the tank is clogged with debris in the tank.  You can pull the pickup
assembly from the tank (empty the tank first) and inspect the screen for
clogging)  Then try disconnecting the line from the pump (to the tank) and
back flusing with compressed air.  Let's hope the tank doesn't need to come
out.

Dave Massey
80 TR8