RE: tool for machining a part

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tool for machining a part
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:21:39 -0800
> A less expensive tool would be a end mill.  These look like a
> short drill bit
> without a taper on the cutting edge.

Problem with using an end mill is that you have to hold it centered on the
hole.  Extra setup, and it's tough to do on a drill press, virtually
impossible by hand.

> The Import stuff isn't too  bad, a 1/2
> end mill is  ~ 15.00.  USA made stuff is 40 + .

A counterbore for a 5/16" SHCS is only $14 at Enco, P/N 368-4120

> Counter bores look similar but have interchangeable pilots that
> add to the cost.

They are also available in fixed pilot versions that are less expensive
(like the one quoted above).

> If you can't find a end mill, resharpening a drill bit to cut flat would
> work, just be sure to drill the hole with a regular bit first.

If you really want to get fancy, grind a pilot on it while you're at it.

> I used to get stuff from Enco, but I think they have been bought
> my MSC tools.

They were, but they're still doing business under the Enco name and (mostly)
at the Enco prices.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=31
http://www.use-enco.com

Randall