Re: tool for machining a part

To: spamiam@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tool for machining a part
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:34:22 EST
A less expensive tool would be a end mill.  These look like a short drill bit
without a taper on the cutting edge.  The Import stuff isn't too bad, a 1/2
end mill is
~ 15.00.  USA made stuff is 40 + .

Counter bores look similar but have interchangeable pilots that add to the
cost.

I use end mills in a drill press to clean up parts with broken bolts.
Frequently the bolt will break at the surface of the part.  This leaves a
ragged
edge making it more difficult to center drill the bolt and remove.  Use a end
mill slightly larger than the bolt to make a smooth flat surface.

If you can't find a end mill, resharpening a drill bit to cut flat would
work, just be sure to drill the hole with a regular bit first.

When you tap the holes, get a starting tap ( long taper ) this makes things
much better as you will be able to cut a thread freehand.  Most of the taps
sold are plug taps ( short taper ) these are more for cleaning up a existing
hole.  There are also bottoming taps ( no taper ) that are for blind holes.

Try www. kbctools.com  they are good to deal with.

I used to get stuff from Enco, but I think they have been bought my MSC tools.

Harold