Re: virus?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: virus?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:33:42 -0400
On 18 Aug 2003 at 18:06, Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "Pat"
> > "Dear friend , use this Internet Explorer patch now!
> > There are dangerous virus in the Internet now!
> > More than 500.000 already infected!"
>
> This did not originate in the US.  If it had it would have said "more than
> 500,000..."

Furthermore, if it came from Micro$oft it (probably) would have been
written in more correct English!  There is many bad guys out there,
just as there are dangerous virus.

I may be mistaken, of course.  Perhaps the plural of virus is virus.
Is virus a collective noun?  In the US variant of English that would
still require a singular verb, I believe.  Perhaps the Queen's
English is different.  Maybe the author knew we drive LBC's. :-)

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com