re: TR Timing - Road Test Results

To: pdonnel1@san.rr.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR Timing - Road Test Results
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:31:33 EDT
>>5) vacuum advance - stock distributor rebuilt by TRF<<

John,
Couple thoughts..
Since there are so many vacuum units some times the wrong one gets installed,
even by the best vendors. Does the bigger sized numbers stamped near the
vacuum hose hookup read: 2-6-3  ? If not, it's wrong. And the weights 'stop
arm'
should be stamped '10 degrees' (you can see through points plate if you try).
NOTE: The manual says "stroboscopic timing is not fully accurate as the
centrifugal weights give no advance at all only below 250 rev/min. At normal
idling
speed the distributor will be advanced approx 5 degrees". (your guess as good
as mine translating this but I think the distributor spins at half the rate
of crankshaft) - the main point - don't use a strobe.
Why are you running it rich - maybe that's why plugs are choking up at 3000
rpm?
I know there are three carb needles for TR4 & 4A. One for TR4. 2nd for early
TR4A. And 3rd needle for latest TR4A - whatch you got? Perhaps the last design
is best (I think once they dumped the 4A's 'front muffler' the car breathed
better and a new needle profile was required)
Lastly you might try 3-in-1 'blue can' oil in dashpots (straight 20 wt.)
Only do one of these things at a time - and as as all the books say - after
basic setting of 4 degrees - it's best to adjust settings with road performance.

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74