Re: Good Beer, Now Favorite Beer Survey

To: one_second_zero@yahoo.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good Beer, Now Favorite Beer Survey
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:34:41 +0000 FILETIME=[853F6470:01C34B10]
Whether it be an American "light" beer in a tin can or a good pint of stout,
just enjoy it and quit whinging and knocking American beers like a bunch of
fecking Euro-wannabes.  ;-)

  Well I'll pick up this gage!

  I think you have it wrong... We're reclaiming our heritage... Early
American brews WERE ales. Brewed
  VERY locally. Each of these brews had its own character. Some was really
awful some was very good.
  Most were middling. Modern pasturization and cooling really didn't exist.
Beer went bad. There were no
  health codes so sometimes what got put into the product could make you
sick... or kill you.

  The transition to the mass produced German style beers really came about
in the latter part of
  the 19th century. This mass produced product was so cheap it crowded out
the local brews so the
  local breweries went out of business (the one in my home town finally died
in the 70's). What is
  sold in volume today is a pasturized, mass produced product that conforms
to a "standard". It's made
  to ALLWAYS TASTE THE SAME. It's nort great. It's not awful. It  has no
craft. It's boring. No magic.
  This is the reason there's been a rennaissance going on with boutique
breweries.

   I like the Ales and bitters. There are a nuber of domestic brews I like
(Goose Island, 3 Floyds ec.).
   I'm particularly fond of the Ales that come from Wychwood Breweries in
Oxfordshire. Aparently so do
   many other folks. Enough so that this "boutique brewery" is cranking out
 >30,000 barrels of various
   hand crafted brews a year.

   One of the best domestic beers I've had recently is small batch brewed in
a little bar in Chilton
   Wisconsin. You get whatever's on tap, and you can't take a 6 pack home...
unless you bring your
   own bottles.

   Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)