Re: Installed Defective Cam. Need Advice On New One

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Installed Defective Cam. Need Advice On New One
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:59:10 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: fwildi@arizona.edu
It seems to me a bit exagerated to recommend that people do not use a
reground cam because of one single failure. Although I certainely
understand how frustrating it must be to have to perform a major
operation on the engine of a beautifully restored car (BTDT), my
understanding is that most engine rebuilds, including some pretty
racy ones, do use reground cams.
What is not clear to me is if you need a special surface treatement
on the lobes or not, and if there has to be a matching treatment on
the tappets. From talking with a couple of grinding companies it
seems that the answers are no and yes respectively. I chose not to
harden on my rebuilts, even though my last one is a souped-up TR3/4
engine with the BFE heavy duty springs and chrome-molly pushrods.
Unfortunately it's not going to run for another few months
(relocation forces temporary slow-down of LBC activity). My biggest
fear, given what I have read on this list is the quality of the
tappets of the TRactor engines...

Comments invited
Francois
AH3000: sold!