RE: TR6 Alternator Housing Weld

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Alternator Housing Weld
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:37:26 -0700 FILETIME=[BABC3730:01C339A5]
> I have a break in my alternator housing right below
> the screw hole where the tensioner bracket meets the
> unit. My questions are:  Is this housing aluminium?

Yes.

> Isn't it difficult/expensive to (tig) weld that?

Not terribly, for an experienced welder.

>  If I get it welded might it warp?

Probably not enough to hurt anything, especially if you get it TIG welded by
a competent person.  You'll want to completely strip the unit of course,
don't want welding currents getting into the diodes, or heat cooking the
front bearing.  You'll also likely need to run a tap through the threads
afterwards.

>  Would it be cheaper and easier to find a used housing?

IMO, yes, unless you have a friend that will do the welding for a 6-pack.
Professional welding shops usually charge a minimum of at least $50 (US),
and you can buy an entire used alternator for less than that.

Randall