Re: Headlight Choices for TR3A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlight Choices for TR3A
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:29:12 -0400
In a message dated 6/9/2003 12:20:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
twakeman@cruzers.com writes:

> > What's the right way to go to get good illumination from headlights on
> > the
> > TR3A?  My car came with aftermarket tripod headlights

> Near as I can tell the only good tripods are genuine Lucas tripods.
> I have a set of Lucas PL700 tripods on the TR3.  Focus is fine.

I agree: the original Lucas tripods were a great improvement over typical "US
spec" tungsten sealed-beam headlamps. I'm not sure, but it might be possible to
fit the P700 (the type with the small round emblem in the center) with the H4
or similar halogen bulb. As for the PL700 (the type with the "shield" in the
center and using the odd "Type A" bulb with the three-prong plug on the end),
I'm not aware of a halogen bulb that will fit. But perhaps nowadays there IS
such a bulb?

I also had a set of Cibie "Optique" (I think) headlamps, with a concave lens.
These also used the Type A bulb and were great headlamps with a very nice,
sharp low-beam cutoff.

--Andy Mace