Re: Headlight Choices for TR3A

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: Headlight Choices for TR3A
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 06:29:14 -0700
Cc: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Monday, June 9, 2003, at 01:43  AM, Randall Young wrote:
> TeriAnn, I'm not familiar with IPF.  Can you tell us a bit more, like
> what
> it stands for

IPF is a Japanese automotive lighting company well know in Japan and
the Australian 4X4 world.

American 4X4 folks tend to think of them as being as good or better
than Hella at half the price or less.

> or more importantly, where to buy them?

I by my IPF lighting through British Pacific

http://www.britishpacific.com/offroad/IPF_lighting.html

The owner, Steve Hedke, drives a TR3 "Scrappy" in the annual great race
rally.  While British Pacific is a Land Rover parts house, they do have
things like the IPF lighting, Lucas colour coded wire for sale by the
foot, Lucas wire connectors and other electrical system parts.  They
are a mail order house.  Call them @ 800-554-4133 and ask for Marty.
Mary is a long time Triumph enthusiast and can help with Lucas
electrical parts  for Triumphs as well as IPF questions.

>   The "no name" H4
> lamps I currently have on my TR3A have a lousy cutoff, and I
> frequently get
> blinked (and worse) by other traffic.

With the 90 watt low beams I see well long distances ahead and properly
adjusted, no one flashes their lights at me.

When I pull up behind a car at a traffic light I can see the sharp cut
off on the back of the car in front.  In fact that is how I finally
adjusted the headlamps.  I parked about 10 feet behind a car and se the
cut off line a little below the base of the rear window.

Of course with 280 watts total high beam, I dip my high beams way in
advance of any oncoming traffic.

The only reason I have not fitted them to the TR3 is that I like the
look of my PL700's too much.

Of course you can fit any wattage bulb.  It doesn't have to be the
super high watt ones.

TeriAnn J. Wakeman
      Marigold Ltd.
      www.marigoldltd.com