Re: Head retorque

To: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Head retorque
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:45:04 -0700
Cc: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
"Paige, Dean" wrote:

> You will pardon me please if I misspeak but, it has always been my practice
> and, as I understood, standard proceedure to retorque head bolts on the TR
> engines. However it is also my understanding that the retorque is NEVER done
> on a warm/hot engine. Standard proceedure is to let the engine cool to
> ambient temps and only then retorque. With the procedure being to loosen
> each nut just slightly and then retorque. And inasmuch as the advice from
> the rebuilder who put together my new long block for the TR-6 is to run the
> car for 500 miles and then retorque cold I believe this to be the best
> proceedure.
>
> Deano

Dean, That is probably dependent more on WHICH TR engine you are talking
about.  I can't speak for the wet liner engines of old but I can speak
for the Spitfire engines and the others that are of similar origin
(including the 6 cylinder ones).

This goes back a few years when I bought a NOS Stanpart head gasket.
When I opened the factory wrapper a small slip of paper fell out and I
read it.  It said in effect, that you must retorque the head after
initial installation and running the up to operational temperatures
WHILE the engine is hot.  Following those directions, I have installed
several of these head gaskets in the intervening years and have never
had any leakage problems.

Therefore, do it HOT!  Most general purpose engine rebuilders don't
understand the nuances of Triumph engines.