Re: Head retorque

To: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head retorque
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:43:01 -0400
Yes- depending on the headgasket in question. Some newer headgaskets are
marked on the packaging "No retorquing required" Anything factory, or OEM
should be retorqued unless otherwise specified.

Usual practice is initial torquing to spec, then run engine up to operating
temperature, then retorque while hot. (Engine not running, of course.)

The reason behind this is apparently the relaxation of the metals with
expansion due to heat- so you are tightening when the metal is most
expanded. I think there is something about hot/cold cycling of a cold
torqued bolt causing it to loosen, but I am not a
metallurgical/thermodynamic engineer. " I just duz whut th' book be a'sayin'
to."

Please see your factory service manual for exact details pertaining to your
model(disclaimer)

Scott