RE: wobbly wheels

To: "Douglas Frank" <frank@zk3.dec.com>, "triumphs list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wobbly wheels
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@MSN.COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:37:30 -0600 FILETIME=[18390550:01C30A99]
Douglas,
I'm not sure if you have real Minilites, or the KN Minilite replicas sold by
Moss.  I'll speak to the KN Minilite replicas, as I have no experience with
the real thing.

When I received my wheels from Moss, I took them to my local mechanic who
mounted the tires and balanced each.  He said there was quite a bit of
runout on 3 of 4.  He did say this should not really affect my ride or the
suspension, but that it was present.  He was surprised they had so much
runout.

I've driven approximately 1,000 miles on these wheels, and have not
experienced any problems with them.  However, the issue that my wheels are
not true, especially for what I spent on them, still bothers me.

Good luck,
Eric Conrad
'76 TR6
'62 TR4 (soon to be in my garage)

I gave up trying to find why my GT6 starts shaking my fillings out at 60
MPH, and took her over to a local pro.  He found a couple of little
things wrong, like a small movement in the r.f. upper A-arm and a slight
amount of play in the driveshaft's rear U joint, but nothing to account
for the severity of the vibration I'm getting.

Of course, he also balanced the tires and they checked out fine.  But he
tells me he sees "wobble" in 3 of the 4 wheels.  ...Eh?

These are 14" aluminum Minilites with about 50 miles on them-- no more.
  Does anyone have any idea what the max runout should be on a cast
aluminum wheel?

--
Douglas Frank  DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO            110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,