Re: wobbly wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Subject: Re: wobbly wheels
From: Nicholas Froome <listreader@pvision.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 20:05:08 +0100
>Of course, he also balanced the tires and they checked out fine.  But he
>tells me he sees "wobble" in 3 of the 4 wheels.  ...Eh?
>
>These are 14" aluminum Minilites with about 50 miles on them-- no more.
>  Does anyone have any idea what the max runout should be on a cast
>aluminum wheel?

Are they Minilites? Or Minilite copies? Some of the copies I've seen in the UK
are incredibly badly machined and don't seat properly on the hub. So they don't
sit flat on the hub and/or don't centre properly

Also some have bolt holes machined to different depths so some sleeve nuts (if
that's what you have) may bottom out on the wheel without touching the wheel

If the vibration started when the wheels were fitted, look long & hard at the
wheels

Nick Froome
http://www.bolide.co.uk