RE: no more Shlep Boys! what A---H---s!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: no more Shlep Boys! what A---H---s!
From: "M Brooks" <mike@gsta.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:55:56 -0500
Oh yeah - I love corporate auto parts store bashing!! Nothing worse than Pep
Boys, Discount Auto Parts, Auto Zone, etc... if you need anything more
unusual than a tail light bulb for a Honda Accord. Granted some are worse
than others but most have the attitude that "if it's not in the computer
than it doesn't exist and never did" and the other old credo "the customer's
always wrong and an A-H wasting my time"

I've found that it's usually much better to find a local, professional auto
parts store with grown-ups behind the counter. Most still rely heavily on
the computer BUT they usually have actually books to look things up in once
you get in good with them. Sometimes they cost a little more but the service
is well worth it.

Quick example - I was in Delavan Wisconsin getting a 68 Caddy Eldorado (my
other passion) that was in storage for 16 years ready for the drive back to
Florida. I brought all new brake parts with me from Florida but the rubber
brake hoses I specially ordered at home turned out to be wrong. I absolutely
had to get those hoses so knowing it was a waste of time I tried 2 corporate
auto parts chains to no avail. Finally found a local store in a nearby town
full of old guys and their sons and their sons sons. Told them what I wanted
one, one of them went into the back room... I heard some shuffling around
and then 5 minutes later he produced exactly the right parts, blew the dust
off and I was on my way.

Support your local, auto parts professionals! Even if you save 50 cents a
quart buying oil from Autozone or Manny Moe and Jack, in the long run you're
doing yourself a favor patronizing the small stores.

~Mike Brooks