Re: TR3A Overdrive

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Overdrive
From: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:12:22 -0400
I picked up a parts car to get my OD gearbox. It was a 4A tub on a '4 frame
(I think). Anyway, the cross member to which the rear mount attaches had
bolt holes that were slightly offset so that the rubber/steel mount itself
was a bit to the rear of center - lined up exactly with the holes in the
gearbox. When I got my '3, it had a 4-syncro box, but I wasn't happy with
the way the PO had modified the mount (the holes were basically notches, not
holes!). The "new" arrangement is perfect.

I wish I was sure whether the part came from a '4 or '4A frame, but
whichever it was, the offset was exactly what I needed. Moss shows all three
crossmembers ('3A, '4 and '4A), but only the one for the '4A is apparently
available (from them, at least).

On this page,
http://www.mossmotors.com/cgi-bin/db2www/mossmotors/MossUSA/Shop/ViewProduct
s.mac/report?T=70356&ModelID=40000&PlateID=2626 , the item numbers in their
illustrations are 52, 62 and 78.

Anyone know which part has the offset holes? BTW, I mean the two holes the
rear mount bolts to, not the four holes that bolt to the chassis. Or do both
'4 and '4A parts work? Hate to send anyone on a wild goose chase, but there
IS a part out there that fits.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O
There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness.'...Dave Barry