Re: Slave Cylinder Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slave Cylinder Question
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:33:33 -0400
On 29 Apr 2002 at 14:32, Dave Massey wrote:
> Message text written by INTERNET:Egbman1@aol.com
> > I bought a TR4 yesterday ("TR Fever" rages) and the clutch pedel
> > requires VERY HEAVY pressure!...
> Earl, have you ever driven a TR6?  The TR6 has a significantly heavier
> clutch than does the TR3

I'm sure Dave M. knows more about this than I, but I'll pass along
this idea anyway.  Jeff Jones of RaceTune Engineering, the guy who
did some work for me when I replaced my blown GT6 tranny, warned me
that some years ago TR6 owners had trouble with pressure plates made
by Quentin-Hazel, that they required way too much pressure, even for
a TR6 which is already high.  The reason for his warning was that the
added pressure caused excessive wear on the thrust loads on the crank
and resulted in premature thrust washer failure.

The significance for Egbman1 is that his engine may develop problems
ragardless of the cause of the heavy clutch.  The wrong clutch would
spell trouble, made even worse if the pressure plate was too stiff
even for a 6.  But again, regardless of the cause, a stiff clutch
means thrust washer wear.

Just my two cents,

--
Jim Muller