Re: Cam Bearing fit

To: ebk@buffnet.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam Bearing fit
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 21:30:14 EST
In a message dated 12/20/01 8:36:11 PM Eastern Standard Time, ebk@buffnet.net
writes:

<< 1- Should the Oil Passages line-up completly with the Cam Bearings?
 2- Can drilling the Cam Bearing [with them still in the block] a good
    idea?
 3- What should be done?

For engines in general ( I haven't built a TR4 engine, but have built many
other makes) if 1/2 or more of the cam bearing hole is exposed things are OK.
 ( Cam bearing oil holes are typically 3/16" to 1/4" dia)

The cam rotates 1/2 crank speed, sees little load compared to a crank main
bearing and gets lots of splash lube from the crankshaft churning away so
high oil flow isn't needed.   When installing cam bearings one must eye up
the holes then drive them home.  Sometimes the bearing will turn a bit during
install causing the misaligned oil holes.

Since most engines are mass produced, I suspect the block and bearing oil
holes are oversized to allow for any misalignment.

You could drill the bearings to match the oil holes then debur the bearings,
but I don't think it is worth the effort if more than 1/2 of the hole is
exposed.

If for some reason TR cam oil holes are very undersized, check with a TR
engine builder for advise.

Harold