Re: Transmission Conversion

Subject: Re: Transmission Conversion
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:07:40 -0800
Cc: PVANDAL@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
LaJoMor@aol.com wrote:

> The other place to get one is through Herman Van den Akker in California.
> Herman is some sort of legendary Triumph inventor/owner/genius. He and his
> daughter Heidi both own TR250s and I think some other models.

At present, Herman has a TR250, Heide has a TR3A.  Both show winners,
very pretty cars that they are not afraid to drive.  Herman won the
'Long Distance' award at VTR 1999.

> He does not have a website but you can contact him through his
> daughter. Her address is heidevan@email.msn.com

Herman now has his own email address, handhvan@msn.com  A website is
planned, but not ready yet.

I spoke with Herman a few days ago about the 5-sp conversion.  He
reported that he is currently making some improvements, so the kit is
not quite ready for production (although I'm sure he would like another
car to do an experimental installation on).   He mentioned making a
special tailshaft adapter for the Toyota tranny, so the TR6 driveshaft
does not have to be modified, and so you don't have to drop the diff to
remove the shaft.  He is also redoing the rear mount bracket for the
earlier cars (those that originally took A-type ODs), so it can use a
standard motor mount.  Apparently, the Conversion Components unit uses a
custom-made rear mount, available only from them.

This is very typical of Herman, he is not happy with anything until it
is as near perfection as humanly possible.

(NFI, etc.)
Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - with A-type, no conversion planned
63 Sports 6 rustoration project - possible conversion to D-type