Re: Transmission Conversion

To: PVANDAL@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Conversion
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 11:17:44 EST
Peter...

There are two sources that I know of....one is Conversion Components located
in New Zealand. Check out this link..... <A
HREF="http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/index.html";>ConversionComp Home Page</A>
They have a rep in Washington...his name in on the website homepage.

I purchased one of their conversion kits from their previous rep which was
located in California. XKs Unlimited. They no longer are associated with this
company however. I bought a unit from XKs Unl. which they said was their last
unit. I have not yet installed it but definitely plan on doing so this winter
as I rebuild the chassis. Since XKs were trying to get rid of this last one,
I got a great price. I contacted Conversion Components to get a better copy
of the installation instructions since mine were torn and difficult to read.
They were very prompt in the reply and very pleasant to communicate with.
They urged me to contact them whenever I needed any support. My kit has the
Supra 5-speed. Wide ratio.

The other place to get one is through Herman Van den Akker in California.
Herman is some sort of legendary Triumph inventor/owner/genius. He and his
daughter Heidi both own TR250s and I think some other models. Herman designed
and built a rear shock conversion kit which was reportedly a very well done
unit. Unfortunately he no longer makes them and has moved on the 5-speed
conversions. He does not have a website but you can contact him through his
daughter. Her address is heidevan@email.msn.com

There was a series of messages on the TR list a short time ago from John
Truttman who lives in Arizona. He has a TR6 with one of Herman's first
conversions. John's email is jtruttman@worldnet.att.net
John spoke very highly of Herman and his conversion. I would suggest
contacting him.

Herman's address and phone number....

Herman Van den Akker
689 Azure Hills Drive
Simi Valler, CA 93065
phone....805-526-9526

Hope this helps....I think the swap is a far better way to go than the
troublesome OD units. Of course it is not keeping with originality but in my
case I don't care. The benefits from upgrading to a modern solution appeals
to me along with the obvious benefits of the 5-speed.

Larry M
TR250 soon with 5