Re: Original Water Temp Gauge?

To: barteet@barteet.com
Subject: Re: Original Water Temp Gauge?
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:58:38 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 28-Nov-01 13:38:32 Eastern Standard Time,
barteet@barteet.com writes:

> I had always just assumed that the previous owner had replaced the
> original gauge for some reason, but then I realized the TR2-3 water temp
> gauge was of the mechanical capillary-tube variety, and my car has the
> wire coming out of the harness for the electric resistor type.
>
> So my question is, did some TR4s come out of the factory like this, or has
> this instrument been replaced?

Early TR4's had the same guages as TR3's i.e. convex glass, open-faced.  The
TR4's were always electrically connected (unlike the TR3 capillary setup).  I
think you are right and that your temp guage was replaced by a flat glass one
from a later TR4.  You can probably pick up the correct one at a swap meet.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant