Original Water Temp Gauge?

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Original Water Temp Gauge?
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:44:39 -0800 (PST)
Hi, Folks,

just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

I have a semi-early TR4. 1962 model, CT78xxLO.

The instruments all have the convex lenses except for the water temp. It
has a flat lens, and the instrument is of the later 4 variety with the
'mask' covering the top half of the needle.  The other instruments in the
center cluster are the older TR2-3 variety that swing from the top.

I had always just assumed that the previous owner had replaced the
original gauge for some reason, but then I realized the TR2-3 water temp
gauge was of the mechanical capillary-tube variety, and my car has the
wire coming out of the harness for the electric resistor type.

So my question is, did some TR4s come out of the factory like this, or has
this instrument been replaced?

-jeffrey